Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Checking Things Off

3 weeks strong on the blog...woooo me!
I have been actively working on my list, making changes, adding, crossing off...making sure I can absorb all that Korea has to offer this time around.

School this week was extremely short due to Children's Day, which was Wednesday, May 5th (also Cinco de Mayo and an excuse to drink excessively). Our original plans for our day off consisted of a 4 hour bus ride to the Boseong tea fields for lunch, a picturesque view and a little fresh air. Unfortunately, or alcohol induced brains led us to change our plans for a day full of adventure and beauty to a leisurely visit to the Orcheongjang hot springs and sauna (also on the list, so not a waste of time!).

This spa is said to be the biggest in all of Asia, complete with waterfalls, pools of water varying in temperature and mineral content, saunas, steam rooms, and mass amounts of naked Koreans oogling our rotund western bodies.

The spa experience is nothing new to me...I am quite used to being accosted by older women sitting next to me in the buff. Being followed around by a group of naked Korean 6 year olds does not phase me anymore. But this particular day, being Children's Day, there was an unusual amount of stalkage and we three lone Wae-gooks (foreigners) were pinned into a corner, drilled with short and simple questions and answers..."I am happy. How are you?", "How old are you?", "Do you have baby?", and so on.

After pruning up for a couple of hours in the baths, we decided to splurge and get the full Korean spa experience, complete with an exfoliating scrub and cucumber mask. I officially am ready for summer, as all of my tan lines and I believe some of my tattoos have been scraped from my body by an older half naked woman with a hand sock that felt like a Brillo pad.

After our relaxing visit and an hour of skin scrapage, we retired to a friends apartment where the 3 of us prepared a Cinco de Mayo feast for 20...frijoles, enchiladas, quesadillas, pico de gallo, burritos, fajitas, albondigas, mexican rice, rice pudding, guacamole, sangria, margaritas...you name it, we foreigners were there to devour it. Needless to say, work was slow today, being that I didn't sleep until 2, and woke up with Jose Cuervo laughing in my face as his evil hang over melted my brain.

Lots planned for the weekend...there are more things to check off of the list!

(We did check off a few more...
Stripper Norebong CHECK
Hiking Jangsan Mountain CHECK

more to come next week!)

Until next time! <3

No comments: